There are many people with years of experience of PHP but who are not so familiar with UNIX, and now, Linux environments that many web projects. For PHP developers wanting to take part in LAMP projects I have compiled the following list of free tutorials.
- A nice to the point intro tutorial from H Stonebank and the University of Surrey in the UK. This is the one I would recommend for an initial end-to-end read.
- There is also a tutorial from Ohio State University which includes quick references for vi and emacs, the two dominant UNIX text editors. A later pdf version of the same content can be found here.
- Another source is from Vanderbilt University’s Biology department (!) but I don’t think it really focusses on the most useful material.
- There are also tutorials on YouTube such as this introduction to the file system.
- Wright State University are also hosting a much fuller course with a large number of links to good quality UNIX materials.